Windsurfing advice - what rig?

For beginners of kiting or windsurfing, or people new to the area to introduce themselves and ask questions.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Utah Windrider's Association
-This forum is for people new to the area or just getting into Windsurfing, Snowkiting, or Water Kiting. Please reference which sport(s) in your subject heading.
-Please introduce yourself and tell a bit about how you got into the sport.
-Hopefully people will be able to answer any questions that you might have. Please see the "Learn to Windsurf" or "Learn to Kite" links above.
-It is UWA website policy to register using your full name. First name initial/full last name is acceptable. Thanks for your cooperation.
-We were all beginners at one time, hopefully we'll all remember that in this forum.

Windsurfing advice - what rig?

Postby adrian reeder » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:47 pm

Hi,
windsurfed a ton when I was a teenager (Raglan, New Zealand - greatest wind on earth!!), could water start and jibe (not great but could)...

That was 15 yrs ago and the gear is way to different to the starboard treetrunk I used to ride...

I have done a little reading and I think a freestyle rig is what I want. Will be mostly lake sailing (Sand Hollow Reservoir - St George, Utah). Not much for tricks all that jaz, mostly like bombing from one side to the other as fast as I can go (I am sure I am the only one!!)

I am 5'9' and 200 lbs... I would really like some advice on what gear I should be looking at:

-board size and style?

-what sails? I know sails are a function of wind, but I am sure there are variations for speed/agility etc

-manufactures?

I'll leave the next question about how I can get the perfect rig on a budget of $5 for next time :-) hahaha!!

Thanks for your help,

-Adrian
adrian reeder

Re: Windsurfing advice - what rig?

Postby Vaughn Montgomery » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:43 pm

Adrian,

I think I met you in the parking lot at Sand Hollow a few weeks ago when the wind was howling. If so, drop me a note, I'll let you know when we're going, you're welcomed to meet us out there and use one of our boards when they're free.

Vaughn
Vaughn Montgomery

Postby adrian reeder » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:20 am

Vaughn,
ya that was me. That would be great!

801-709-4240...
-Adrian
adrian reeder

Postby Leo Chan » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:57 am

Adrian, I think you will find the Futura by Starboard a beautiful board for what you need. I sailed my 144 liters at Sand Hallow and I think it could handle up to 30 MPH wind there. Josh Shirley can hook you up with a discount from Startboard. Sail? Get yourself some Sailwork Retro or Ezzy. I might meet you down there one of these days.

Vaughn, I am coming down to Cedar City next Wednesday. Give me a call if you will be around: 801-319-3980

~Leo
Leo Chan

Postby Steven Nyhus » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:44 am

Yes I think a FreeRide board would be better that a FreeStyle board for the kind of sailing that you describe. The wind range of the new sails is a lot better than the old ones you used to use. The Ezzy and Sailworks Retro are great sails that are easy to rig and tune. If you want max speed and stability, you may want to look into a cambered sail. Not necessarily a full race sail but something in the FreeRace line. Most manufacturers will have sails in this category. Decide what you would like as your biggest sail and design a quiver from there. For me personally, my sail sizes are 9.0, 7.5, 6.4, 5.0. That covers me for everything I need here in Utah. To be honest, I have only used the 5.0 twice in the last three years. If it is blowing hard enough for the 5.0, it's blowing too hard for my 155lt FreeRide board. Welcome back and I hope this helps a little.
Steven Nyhus

Postby adrian reeder » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:48 pm

Thanks for the responses, I appreciate it!!

On the lookout for gear!!! Thanks!
adrian reeder

Return to Newcomers and Transplants Forum