CA transplant

For beginners of kiting or windsurfing, or people new to the area to introduce themselves and ask questions.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Utah Windrider's Association
-This forum is for people new to the area or just getting into Windsurfing, Snowkiting, or Water Kiting. Please reference which sport(s) in your subject heading.
-Please introduce yourself and tell a bit about how you got into the sport.
-Hopefully people will be able to answer any questions that you might have. Please see the "Learn to Windsurf" or "Learn to Kite" links above.
-It is UWA website policy to register using your full name. First name initial/full last name is acceptable. Thanks for your cooperation.
-We were all beginners at one time, hopefully we'll all remember that in this forum.

CA transplant

Postby MaTtMoRellO » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:33 pm

transplanted to Utah from pismo beach CA, i'm up in ogden now not far from pineview res, and hoping to put it to good use. I got into kiteboarding about 2004 but had to stop due to a shattered wrist not to long after, so still relatively a newb. Riding lakes is something i have never done as i always had an ocean right by me and beach sand to self launch, enough room to work safe, and waves to bring you back home if you wipe out huge. So gonna have to get hooked up with someone for a refresher coarse and some tips for lakes and utah winds. Also i'm looking forward to snowkite'n come winter, and a good excuse to buy a foil finally. If anyone has any advice about riding/launching pineview res i would love to hear and if anyone is planing on heading out to pineview please let me know as i work for myself and can take off any time i please (mostly)...... anyway name is matt.... HELLO.
MaTtMoRellO

Re: CA transplant

Postby john l » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:58 pm

Hey Matt, welcome to Utah.
I haven't kited on Pineview but being near Ogden look at Willard Bay too. I moved here two years ago (can't believe it's been that long already) about this time of year and had my first Utah rides on Willard Bay before the snow fell. Also, check out the Local Sites and Maps link above if you haven't yet for the launch spots. Hope you enjoy the Utah kiting. We have a great community here.
john l

Postby DevinClarke » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:02 pm

Hey Matt,

You have a lot to look forward to. Snowkiting is unreal. My first and only water kiting experience at Pineview wasn't much to brag about, but when it freezes over, you have a great venturi effect for snowkiting bliss. Powder Mtn is in your neck of the woods as well.

15 years ago, my dad/cousins and I would take dirt bikes, quads, and sand rails out to pismo beach. I've always wondered if pismo still permitted that kind of two-stroke recreation. Is it still a big dirt-bike scene out there with the Sand National drag races etc?
DevinClarke

Postby MaTtMoRellO » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:37 am

thanks guys,

John, i didn't even think about willard bay even though the first thing i did when i got here was ride my ktm up willard peak and look down on the bay/lake/clouds/world. I thought it was part of salt lake at first.... I found really good directions to it on the UWA Places google map.

Devin, you bet i'm beyond stoked for the snow, can't wait. and yup, the pismo/oceano dunes are still THE PLACE for flyin' trucks, bikes, rails, and atvs, and one of the thing's i am really going to miss most. Races and events still going on all the time... Funny, but the south entrance to the sand highway and dune entrance is a big hot spot on the central coast for kite surfing as well, but one downside to kiting in pismo is a wet suit is a must 98% of the time, that water is just a little to cold.

thanks again for the welcome guys'
MaTtMoRellO

Postby lesvierra » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:42 am

Matt,
Feel free to email regarding pineview or Pow Mow or also monte cristo. I grew up in Lemoore, just over in the Valley from pismo, now up in Eden. In fact, I have my pismo hoody on right now (pancho's) and some sucker with a worm it on my desk from that store next to pancho's, you can have it if i see you, he he. snow is coming, alot to look foward to.
Les
lesvierra

Postby Jacob Buzianis » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:27 pm

Hey Matt,

you are going to be blown away here in Utah with the snowkiting spots and the Utah Crew. We have a great lay back Crew here. When you come to the kite spot please intrude yourself to us. Don't hesitate to ask us questions or directions. I hope to you see you out there.

Welcome to Utah!
Jacob Buzianis

Return to Newcomers and Transplants Forum