Big bar small kite?

For beginners of kiting or windsurfing, or people new to the area to introduce themselves and ask questions.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Utah Windrider's Association
-This forum is for people new to the area or just getting into Windsurfing, Snowkiting, or Water Kiting. Please reference which sport(s) in your subject heading.
-Please introduce yourself and tell a bit about how you got into the sport.
-Hopefully people will be able to answer any questions that you might have. Please see the "Learn to Windsurf" or "Learn to Kite" links above.
-It is UWA website policy to register using your full name. First name initial/full last name is acceptable. Thanks for your cooperation.
-We were all beginners at one time, hopefully we'll all remember that in this forum.

Big bar small kite?

Postby KyrkWright » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:08 pm

What are people's thoughts about how using a "big" bar, like a 55cm bar, works with smaller kites, like 7-11m kites? I haven't ever experimented with these things but it seems that for the bigger kites you need the bigger bar to get the turning response you need. Would using a big bar on a small kite just result in faster turning (too fast for the little kite) or are there other issues to think about?

Just curious.
Thanks.
KyrkWright

Re: Big bar small kite?

Postby Kenny » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:02 pm

Kyrk,

You can use a large bar with a small kite as long as you remember to move your hands closer to the center of the bar. If not, you run a good chance of oversteering the kite.

Kenny
Kenny
Site Admin

Postby Jacob Buzianis » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:17 pm

Big bar has more bar pressure then the small bar. I normally use small bar on all sizes except the 17m.

If you don't mind the bar pressure, you should be fine and keep your hands in the middle of the bar like Kenny said.

heading to SSB this Afternoon.
Jacob Buzianis

Postby KyrkWright » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:51 pm

Jake,
Do you use a small bar even on a 15M?

Thanks.
Kyrk
KyrkWright

Postby Jacob Buzianis » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:29 pm

I would used the big bar on the 15m.
Jacob Buzianis

Postby hedquista » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:43 pm

kyrk

On water i use my small bar most of the time with my 7 and 12. if i fly any bigger i use the big bar.(it helps get the kite around in loops) On snow however i use the big bar on the 12 and bigger. I dont know why but i do. it is what i am used to i guess.

alex
hedquista

Return to Newcomers and Transplants Forum