New to Windsurfing--wondering where to get started!

For beginners of kiting or windsurfing, or people new to the area to introduce themselves and ask questions.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Utah Windrider's Association
-This forum is for people new to the area or just getting into Windsurfing, Snowkiting, or Water Kiting. Please reference which sport(s) in your subject heading.
-Please introduce yourself and tell a bit about how you got into the sport.
-Hopefully people will be able to answer any questions that you might have. Please see the "Learn to Windsurf" or "Learn to Kite" links above.
-It is UWA website policy to register using your full name. First name initial/full last name is acceptable. Thanks for your cooperation.
-We were all beginners at one time, hopefully we'll all remember that in this forum.

New to Windsurfing--wondering where to get started!

Postby Jess Safsten » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:51 am

Hi everyone,
I've been windsurfing a couple of times (but most times there was hardly any wind) on some small lakes (er, ponds is more like it) and I would love to hear your ideas about where to go around here (I live in Lehi). I know utah lake is a great spot but I have a few questions:

1. where do you get in and begin surfing?
2. how do you know if the wind is strong enough that day?
3. when is it too cold to go surfing? (approx. month)
4. Do you guys plan regular windsurfing outtings?

thanks for any comments!

Jess
Jess Safsten

Re: New to Windsurfing--wondering where to get started!

Postby Steven Nyhus » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:41 pm

Hi Jess and welcome,
You will find that there are a lot of really friendly and helpful people here in Utah.
To answer your questions:
1. Utah lake is a good place under certain conditions. North winds are usually very smooth and steady. South winds do not always come through like they do in other areas of the state. Look under the Local sites and Maps at the top of your screen. Lindon beach and the Provo Boat harbor are good places for windsurfing on the east side of the lake and the Saratoga area on the west side.
2. Usually you are looking for winds above 10mph for a windsurfer. This will really depend on the size of sails you have and your skill level. If you are just starting any wind to get you moving is enough. If you are more intermediate to advanced, you are looking for winds that will get you up and planning. There are wind meters that will give you info on the different sites around the area. Look on the Weather page for the forecast and current conditions for these areas.
3. For some people it is never to cold. There are a few people that will go sailing if there is liquid water somewhere. I even saw someone windsurfing in the spring at Deer Creek right down the edge of the ice flow (Jim?) It all depends on the type of artificial blubber you have (wet suit or dry suit), I have sailed into Nov. with a full wet suit on certain days. I heard a rule of thumb once that if the water temp. and air temp add up to 100 you are ok.
4. Any time the wind is blowing, there will usually be someone out at the popular launches. Fall is usually pretty good for wind especially up at Deer Creek. Watch the forecast from Craig and when he says Deer Creek should be good you will find someone out there. Island Beach is where you will most likely find someone.
Hope to see you on the water soon!
Steven Nyhus

Postby Steven Nyhus » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:48 pm

Sorry, just a follow up. If you are looking for gear, modern equipment makes a HUGE difference. Contact Josh Shirley, he has some good connections for boards and even teaches some lessons on modern equipment. There are also a few people that may have something that is user friendly for new people that they may be willing to let you try a time or two. All you need to do is ask.
Steven Nyhus

Postby Leo Chan » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:58 pm

Jess, welcome. I agree with Steve. Contact Josh to get some good deals on modern gears. DCIB is where you will find most of us. Jim has the Charleston Bridge to himself. But he always make his way to DCIB to look for us. :D Hope to see you out there soon.

~Leo
Leo Chan

Postby Carl Christensen » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:43 pm

Are you talking about the Salt Lake area? The end of October usually finds most of us thinking about alternatives. But Indian summer in northern Utah is very kind and the boat traffic dies off considerably this time of year. Then it snows on Halloween and the water is a bit less inspiring. Most folks probably start sailing in April or so.
Carl C.
Carl Christensen

Return to Newcomers and Transplants Forum