Snowboard Bindings for Kiting?

For beginners of kiting or windsurfing, or people new to the area to introduce themselves and ask questions.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Utah Windrider's Association
-This forum is for people new to the area or just getting into Windsurfing, Snowkiting, or Water Kiting. Please reference which sport(s) in your subject heading.
-Please introduce yourself and tell a bit about how you got into the sport.
-Hopefully people will be able to answer any questions that you might have. Please see the "Learn to Windsurf" or "Learn to Kite" links above.
-It is UWA website policy to register using your full name. First name initial/full last name is acceptable. Thanks for your cooperation.
-We were all beginners at one time, hopefully we'll all remember that in this forum.

Snowboard Bindings for Kiting?

Postby jonpeachey » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:44 am

I just got a new Twisted board for the upcoming winter season and I was wondering what kind of bindings (style, brand) I should put on it.

I have "normal" snowboarding boots without any special attachment points, so I would prefer to use strap bindings. However, if suggestions strongly point to another style I may be willing to invest in some new boots to match the style of bindings.

Thanks!
jonpeachey

Re: Snowboard Bindings for Kiting?

Postby Marty Lowe » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:55 am

I like my K2 cinch, rear entry bindings,
they feel like normal bindings,
but with rear entry.
The older flows I owned, were to stiff for my liking,
but the new Flow look better.

Marty 8)
Marty Lowe

Postby Kenny » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:59 pm

Some riders like to take the backs off of a pair of snowboard bindings. I have been using K2 Clicker boots/bindings for years, but my boots are so packed out that I need to find another solution this year. I have a pair of Flows and they are okay, I just wish the backs were tilted just a bit farther back.
Kenny
Site Admin

Postby Leo Chan » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:18 pm

I was about to ask why no one is using the good old straps and pads we use on water board.

Kenny wrote:Some riders like to take the backs off of a pair of snowboard bindings. I have been using K2 Clicker boots/bindings for years, but my boots are so packed out that I need to find another solution this year. I have a pair of Flows and they are okay, I just wish the backs were tilted just a bit farther back.
Leo Chan

Postby Jason Klein » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:40 am

I tried kiting one time with the backs of the bindings removed. I found it really difficult to edge without the back to lean against - i essentially had to pull the front of my foot up all the time to hold the heel edge. your calves get tired pretty fast doing that. It was kind of a hard packed day. It might feel more water-like and be easier on a powder day, but even then, at the very least, i think the board would be way more responsive with the binding-backs on.
Jason Klein

Postby bordy » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:54 am

Jon,

I like a softer flexing binding. I have ridden every burton binding made and really like the P1 binding the best, You can place the highback straight enough to not cuase cramping but its stilol there to edge with. The flex of the binding is awsome for kiting all terrain, plus Burton bindings are the easiest to get parts for world wide so they are easy to maintain if there is a issue, and the work great on the skii hills also.

I hated the flow and K2 the flows flex poorly and hinder movement laterally, the K2 bindings have a metal base plate that is prone to bending under my feet....Plus there are a bunch of version from differnt years since the binding keeps changing becuae of failures. Burton bindings are tried and true!
bordy

Postby jonpeachey » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:52 am

Thanks, everyone, for your advice! I think it's awesome we have so much wisdom and experience available on this forum when it comes to kiting in Utah, especially on the snow. Bring on the white fluffy stuff!
jonpeachey

Postby Kenny » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:38 pm

Jon,

I would go with Billy's advice. He is probably the most knowledgeable kiter around when it comes to snowboarding gear. Thanks, Billy - I am going to have to try some P-1's.

Kenny
Kenny
Site Admin

Postby Mark Johnson » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:08 pm

Loved my Burtons at the resort. But I love the K2 binders for the ease of the rear entry for kiting. I started with clikers and liked them but like Kenny said my boots are a bit worn out and its hard to find any good boots for clickers. By the way My old clickers and boots are for sale cheap, make me an offer. They would make a good beginner setup for a size 10.
Mark Johnson

Postby jonpeachey » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:52 am

Anyone know anything about Burton Mission bindings? They're cheaper, which obviously means they're lower end.
jonpeachey

Postby Jacob Buzianis » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:11 pm

Burton Mission bindings are good binding for freeriding and freestye. I like the the soft flex it gives. It's a little heavier then the Burton P1 and other higher end binding. Be sure to buy them brand new. The straps parts wear out quick on me. I was riding almost everyday.
Jacob Buzianis

Return to Newcomers and Transplants Forum