Burmester

For beginners of kiting or windsurfing, or people new to the area to introduce themselves and ask questions.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Utah Windrider's Association
-This forum is for people new to the area or just getting into Windsurfing, Snowkiting, or Water Kiting. Please reference which sport(s) in your subject heading.
-Please introduce yourself and tell a bit about how you got into the sport.
-Hopefully people will be able to answer any questions that you might have. Please see the "Learn to Windsurf" or "Learn to Kite" links above.
-It is UWA website policy to register using your full name. First name initial/full last name is acceptable. Thanks for your cooperation.
-We were all beginners at one time, hopefully we'll all remember that in this forum.

Burmester

Postby Landon Burch » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:17 pm

Does anyone have directions on how to get to the area in Burmester where kiting is permitted? I've only seen some vague directions that point me north of Grantsville. Need more info please. Thanks.
Landon Burch

Re: Burmester

Postby Travis Cook » Tue May 04, 2010 4:25 pm

All I know is where I've been and got talked to. I attached the picture/map. If you get off I80 right where Burmester Road intersects and does the loop, there is a little, dirt side road there. I followed it to right next to the tracks and parked. there were some old buildings, junk and construction trailers there. I crossed the tracks and kited out on the flats right there.

The railroad guy came down 2 hours later and said that he heard someone call in my "abandoned" car to the police. Apparently you can't park within X feet of the railroad and you also cannot cross the tracks. But the land I was on is definitely public land. He didn't have any issue but thought the police might be showing up. So I was done anyway and left.

I heard there is a spot about 2-3 miles before that i80 turn off, closer to the Stansbury turn off where you can actually drive under the tracks and park in the public area and kite away. I haven't been back yet to explore it as the salt flats ripped the crap out of my inflatable kite. I DO recommend a foil.
Attachments
Screen shot 2010-05-04 at 4.18.06 PM.png
Travis Cook

Return to Newcomers and Transplants Forum