Getting started

For beginners of kiting or windsurfing, or people new to the area to introduce themselves and ask questions.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Utah Windrider's Association
-This forum is for people new to the area or just getting into Windsurfing, Snowkiting, or Water Kiting. Please reference which sport(s) in your subject heading.
-Please introduce yourself and tell a bit about how you got into the sport.
-Hopefully people will be able to answer any questions that you might have. Please see the "Learn to Windsurf" or "Learn to Kite" links above.
-It is UWA website policy to register using your full name. First name initial/full last name is acceptable. Thanks for your cooperation.
-We were all beginners at one time, hopefully we'll all remember that in this forum.

Getting started

Postby jake lewis1 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:23 pm

I just had my first experience with windsurfing and loved it. Now I am currently looking for advice on what to get as far as a board and sail and what not. I dont have a very big budget. I live in ogden and will probably be going to pineveiw once I get setup, any help or advice is welcome. I am 6'2 and around 185-190 pounds, I would like to know what size of board to get as well as what would be the best sail. Thanks
jake lewis1

Re: Getting started

Postby Marty Lowe » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:14 pm

Before I took up kiting,
I windsurfed Pineview alot.
Almost always on big gear,
130-150l board and 7-8m sail.
There are a few stronger days, but not many.

Marty 8)
Marty Lowe

Postby Leo Chan » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:27 pm

Jake, at your size, I think your first board should be in the 160 liter range, around 80 cm wide. A 7 - 8 meter sail would work best for the light wind days. At this point, you should go for the light wind cruising. When you are ready for the planning fun, a smaller board combined with the 7 or 8 meter sail would get you going fast. Don't get boards that are older than 2002. I have couple of old sails (smaller) you can have (as in free) if you want to give it a try. I am on the road right now. Will back in August. Let me know if you want to try some smaller gears. For now, look for a medium to big board. Have fun!
Leo Chan

Postby jake lewis1 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:09 pm

Leo that sounds great. I have been keeping my eyes open on KSL to see if anything comes up. There has been a couple of people selling some equipment but I dont know if that is a good idea or not. I would like to get going as soon as possible. I saw that deal that Josh had and I would be very interested in buying that beginner setup if that comes around again.
jake lewis1

Postby Leo Chan » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:49 pm

Try not to buy stuff from KSL or craigslist. Ask us before you shell out any $$$. We can tell you if that's a good deal or just someone trying to unload some useless junk.
Leo Chan

Postby jake lewis1 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:42 pm

There is a set on ksl that is for 175. If anyone would care to look and give me feedback on whether or not I should get it that would be appreciated. Again its for $175 and its in providence.
jake lewis1

Postby Josh Shirley » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:27 pm

Jake:

Just looked at the ad. You should be able to score better stuff for less. Call them up and tell them you will take it off their hands if they pay you $50.

It could be fun, but looking at the pictures there is not a single part that will work with any other product made in the last 15 years. Think wood skis.

Call me up and I will see what I can find for you.

Josh
801 906-8396
Whatever thou art, do well thy part.
Josh Shirley
Site Admin

Return to Newcomers and Transplants Forum