VISIT TO USA.....KITING IN UTAH?

For beginners of kiting or windsurfing, or people new to the area to introduce themselves and ask questions.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Utah Windrider's Association
-This forum is for people new to the area or just getting into Windsurfing, Snowkiting, or Water Kiting. Please reference which sport(s) in your subject heading.
-Please introduce yourself and tell a bit about how you got into the sport.
-Hopefully people will be able to answer any questions that you might have. Please see the "Learn to Windsurf" or "Learn to Kite" links above.
-It is UWA website policy to register using your full name. First name initial/full last name is acceptable. Thanks for your cooperation.
-We were all beginners at one time, hopefully we'll all remember that in this forum.

VISIT TO USA.....KITING IN UTAH?

Postby TOMMY REYNOLDS » Fri May 06, 2011 1:06 am

I'm a native Utahn living in Asia for the last few years and coming back for a 2 week visit. I started kiting here in China because wakeboarding behind a jet ski in the Taiwan strait sux! I have never seen anyone doing it in Utah but heard rumors and recall the wind at willard bay and bear lake would be rideable but I never paid attention to the speed and gusts. Is there an average or typical windspeed you can expect towards the end of July at any of these places (are you riding 8 or 14 meter for instance)? I'm not sure which of my boards or kites to bring and I want to only carry one of each over if possible. I'll be in Ogden, Logan, and Idaho.....if any of you only had a chance to bail and hit the water once or twice if the white water set blew in what lake(s) are reliable in these areas that usually don't let you down???

Do you need an IKO cert. card to kite at certain beaches or to rent equipment like Boracay or is it not policed or very controlled out there yet?
The clubs here have guys hired to just walk around launching and landing everyone every day of the week as well as jet ski rescue.....I doubt there is anything like that there? So are you guys just laying out lines, rolling up, and launching wet or is there a meeting point at the lakes where there is someone around who knows how to hold a kite? embarrassingly enough I have only attempted self launch and land maybe twice out of a hundred times and don't want to mess up anyone's good times, I guess I need to start working on that this weekend.

Also is there a gear store anywhere along the Wasatch front? I would like to compare with buying direct from the factories since there are no kiteboarding stores in Southern China and it would be cool to walk into a store and actually see what's out there.
any info would be great!
TOMMY REYNOLDS

Re: VISIT TO USA.....KITING IN UTAH?

Postby JCRicketts » Fri May 06, 2011 11:10 am

Hey Tommy, welcome back. I imagine for N.Utah, Willard would be your best bet, but its not reliable. It works on a South pressure front ahead of the storms. I am 200lbs 4 year beginner, if I had to choose just one kite and board would be a 13m ish and 138-142ish board designed for chop. Bear lake can work on the South end but often times its an offshore and inconsistent with lots of shadows. There are usually enough jet skiers and boaters that its not difficult to find someone to keep an eye on you for a rescue. The most reliable for water would be either Utah Lake or Deer Creek but they are a couple hours drive to the South of Ogden. You'll need a wetsuit this time of year. There is minimal policing and regs. Willard is good if you don't like witnesses and public. Utah Lake can get a bit crowded with kiters and spectators. If you go during the week, you'll have the whole place to yourself.

Jason
You can always try anything once!
JCRicketts

Re: VISIT TO USA.....KITING IN UTAH?

Postby Leo Chan » Sat May 07, 2011 2:20 pm

Tommy, you know you have the same name as one of the legend here? :mrgreen:

Yeah, light wind kite is what you will use most here. You gonna have to work for your rides here though. On the bright side, folks here are a lot friendlier and will be more than happy to help you launch/land. Keep your eyes out on the forum for wind forecast and where people are going. Enjoy.
Leo Chan

Return to Newcomers and Transplants Forum