New to Kiting, got a few questions

For beginners of kiting or windsurfing, or people new to the area to introduce themselves and ask questions.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Utah Windrider's Association
-This forum is for people new to the area or just getting into Windsurfing, Snowkiting, or Water Kiting. Please reference which sport(s) in your subject heading.
-Please introduce yourself and tell a bit about how you got into the sport.
-Hopefully people will be able to answer any questions that you might have. Please see the "Learn to Windsurf" or "Learn to Kite" links above.
-It is UWA website policy to register using your full name. First name initial/full last name is acceptable. Thanks for your cooperation.
-We were all beginners at one time, hopefully we'll all remember that in this forum.

New to Kiting, got a few questions

Postby Alex Divers » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:15 pm

Hi,

i'm pretty new to the sport just starting out this spring. I've done three days on the water and can stay upwind but still working on my transitions, managed to complete a couple but not what i would call consistant at all. Any way my questions are :
1) being a little cash straped and heading in to summer what size kite am i likely to get the most riding from,( i'm 190lbs) i was thinking 11 or 12 but maybe 14 or 15 would be better?
2) Where i learnt it was 95 degrees sunny and 75 degree water, i'm pretty sure it's not like that out there yet and i'm wondering how much rubber everyone has on at the momment?

Hope i can get out there soon and met you all.
Alex Divers

Re: New to Kiting, got a few questions

Postby Leo Chan » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:40 pm

Alex,

1) You should get a bigger kite if one kite is all you can afford. The thermal wind in Deer Creek is pretty light most of the time.
2) I think some of them are still using drysuit! 3/4 should be plenty by June under normal year. But this ain't normal year.

Have fun and be safe! Check the wind log and get a better feel of what locals are riding and don't be shy and walk up to them when you get to the location. A six pack in hand always help. :mrgreen:

Leo
Leo Chan

Return to Newcomers and Transplants Forum