kite tuning?

For beginners of kiting or windsurfing, or people new to the area to introduce themselves and ask questions.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Utah Windrider's Association
-This forum is for people new to the area or just getting into Windsurfing, Snowkiting, or Water Kiting. Please reference which sport(s) in your subject heading.
-Please introduce yourself and tell a bit about how you got into the sport.
-Hopefully people will be able to answer any questions that you might have. Please see the "Learn to Windsurf" or "Learn to Kite" links above.
-It is UWA website policy to register using your full name. First name initial/full last name is acceptable. Thanks for your cooperation.
-We were all beginners at one time, hopefully we'll all remember that in this forum.

kite tuning?

Postby Jake-wright » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:36 pm

HI guys, i have a few questions about how my liquid force havoc 14 was flying the other day. It maybe that it has always done this and i just haven't noticed it until i got and flew a newer/different kite (LF session 12m) anyway i noticed that it was flying really deep in the window and was making it really hard to edge upwind. also when i took the kite to 12 o'clock to try to boost there was no lift...it barely picked me up and floated me downwind. it seemed to do this no matter how much i adjusted the depower below the bar. Is this familiar to anyone? or is this just how the havoc flies? any tips would be great thanks.
Jake-wright

Re: kite tuning?

Postby trevmorrell » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:31 pm

Jake, I only fly havocs so if you see me on the beach break the kite out and we can work on the tuning. The Havoc by nature does fly deep in the window but should still be easy to ride up wind. if it's flying too deep in the window and back stalling try tuning down a bit. If its not back stalling it is probably tuned correctly. Every kite rides a little different. The havoc and the session definitely feel differently. The attachment points are in different places on the leading edge which makes a huge difference.
trevmorrell

Re: kite tuning?

Postby Jake-wright » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:07 pm

thanks trevor, that helps a lot. The kite never did back stall or anything like that, and i was able to stay upwind ok...but behind my session even on days when i was quite overpowered i was able to cut quite easily upwind and jumping was soooo easy. With the havoc i had to really fight against it and sheeting out on the bar didn't help me in gusts very much because the kite was so thick in the wind as it was so deep in the window...if that makes sense. Anyway next time i see you i'm sure you can see what my propblems are...but it sounds to me like its in the nature of the wakestyle havoc to fly that way...if i had the skill i know that this kite would make for some really fun unhooked tricks.
Jake-wright

Return to Newcomers and Transplants Forum