Wind Kook Checking In

For beginners of kiting or windsurfing, or people new to the area to introduce themselves and ask questions.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Utah Windrider's Association
-This forum is for people new to the area or just getting into Windsurfing, Snowkiting, or Water Kiting. Please reference which sport(s) in your subject heading.
-Please introduce yourself and tell a bit about how you got into the sport.
-Hopefully people will be able to answer any questions that you might have. Please see the "Learn to Windsurf" or "Learn to Kite" links above.
-It is UWA website policy to register using your full name. First name initial/full last name is acceptable. Thanks for your cooperation.
-We were all beginners at one time, hopefully we'll all remember that in this forum.

Wind Kook Checking In

Postby scottjknell » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:43 am

Throwing a quick hello out. I started windsurfing in Salt Lake back in the early 80's - Decker Lake (still remember slipping over that muddy edge) and Rush Lake. I've sailed on and off over the years and then in 2002 got laid off from work and moved in to my VW Westfalia to pursue windsurfing again full time. I've been actively sailing The Gorge and Maui over the past 8 years. Last month in Hood River I crossed over to the dangler dark side and took kite lessons with the intention of getting more wind/water time locally in Salt Lake City.

First thing I learned this week is that even though Stockton Bar reports 23... Rush can be ZERO. :))) Well it was a fun drive out to the old sailing grounds.

I'm looking to hook up with the local crowd again to glom on to your wind and launch location knowledge. I'm planning on making the Sulphur Creek outing so I'll see you there.

Scott
scottjknell

Re: Wind Kook Checking In

Postby Craig Goudie » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:31 am

Hi Scott,

The Stockton Bar is an interesting data point, but I recommend looking at the Penny's meter
http://mesowest.utah.edu/cgi-bin/droman ... type=LOCAL
for a closer model to what''s going on at Rush. You might also want to have a look
at the little write-up in the weather page about Rush, it works pretty well.

-Craig

scottjknell wrote:First thing I learned this week is that even though Stockton Bar reports 23... Rush can be ZERO. :))) Well it was a fun drive out to the old sailing grounds.

Scott
Craig Goudie
Sailing the Gorge on my:
8'4" OO Fat Boy, 7'9" OO Slasher, 7'4" Goya SurfWave
with Northwave Sails
Craig Goudie
Site Admin

Return to Newcomers and Transplants Forum