May 6th, Deer Creek boat launch, 8.0, 125l (overpowered)

Post your latest session. Provide the location, date, equipment used, and most importantly tells us about your fun. That fun is helpful to people who are thinking about where to go the next time.
Forum rules
Please at least list in the subject line "Date, Location, sail/kite size, board size"
Example:
04/15 Ut Lake SSB, 16M kite, 136
08/23 Sulphur Crick, 3.7M/78L

May 6th, Deer Creek boat launch, 8.0, 125l (overpowered)

Postby Emmanuel Pons » Fri May 06, 2005 5:16 pm

Well I finally got something!
I drove to Deer Creek , checked the island around 2:00PM, nobody there but white caps everywhere as the thunder was raging.
I decided to drive to the boat launch or whatever the site near the dam is called. I looked around as the wind had died, waited a little. the wind picked up a notch.
Perfect opportunity to try my new 8.0.. and my new angulo .. and my new fin.. and my new boom et mast from our friends at Powerex... obviously that was way too much new stuff at once and it took me a while to get everything together more or less appropriately. I had to ditch the 40cm fin that would not fit the box to use the tiny 13.5" (34cm) that came with the board (that will be quite small for pumping and going upwind as I will find out later). I put my suit on... only to see the wind get out of control as a thunderstorm came by. I waited again for the storm to go by and the rain to cease...
3:20PM sunshine.. light winds.. perfect!
I adjust my straps. Get in, pull on my leash.. Oh crap I mounted it upside down with the elastic to the top. Oh well...
A little gust and I am gone! Wow.. the board feels soooo loose it's awesome.. except for my boom about a foot too high hanging above my head. My harness lines are definitely out of reach.. Not that it matters as they are also completely out of place..
I keep adjusting stuff.. The wind keeps going up and quickly I am completely overpowered.. Good way to test the top end of this new sail I guess. All together I'll get about 12 rides under the sun before I decide to pack everything as the wind is getting really strong and black ugly clouds are getting too close for my comfort...

Not a bad sesh... and the water is not even cold!

Let's see what tomorrow brings us!
Emmanuel Pons

Return to Wind Log