Kiting Paradise - The Bay Area

Post your latest session. Provide the location, date, equipment used, and most importantly tells us about your fun. That fun is helpful to people who are thinking about where to go the next time.
Forum rules
Please at least list in the subject line "Date, Location, sail/kite size, board size"
Example:
04/15 Ut Lake SSB, 16M kite, 136
08/23 Sulphur Crick, 3.7M/78L

Kiting Paradise - The Bay Area

Postby christian deputy » Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:06 pm

I kited the Bay Area this past weekend. If you are looking for a great weekend getaway with plenty of wind the bay area is the place to go. I've never been to the gorge but I've talked to lot's of people that do both and tell me that the bay area is much better for kiting due very steady (not gusty) winds.

I rode at Sherman Island (60 miles east of San Francisco), on the delta, Friday and Saturday. Friday I flew a 12M for a couple of hours until the wind let up at about 8:00 PM. I could have inflated my 16M and rode until dark but decided to save my energy for Saturday and Sunday. Saturday I flew my 16.5 contra and was super powered, most guys were flying 12 to 14's. There's lots of variety with flat water behind some islands and big swell out in the current. The best part is that the wind is very consistent all summer long. The launch is not for beginners. You need to be able to ride up wind to kite here. If you can find someone with jet skis or a boat there is a great down winder from an island about one-plus miles up wind from the Sherman Island launch. This is a great ride for any level.

Sunday, I rode at Wadell Creek, on the coast about 60 miles south of San Francisco. It was blowing about 25 MPH. I was on a 12M Nitro. This has got to be some of the best wave riding in the world. You'll be hard pressed to find a kiting video that doesn't have some footage of Waddel Creek. It's an incredible place with side on shore wind in the 20 to 35 MPH range and 1/2 mile of sandy beach. The summer swell is normally about 3 to 6 feet. Riding waves is a blast and totally different experience to riding flat water. It is such a rush to turn down the face of a big breaking wave and then ride it for a hundred feet.

I am headed back to the bay area over the fourth of July weekend. If anyone is interested in joining just let me know. You can fly into SFO, OAK, or SJC. I think the drive is about 11 to 12 hours from SLC. In addition to these two locations there are a dozen + other kiting locations within 2 - 75 miles of San Francisco.
christian deputy

Return to Wind Log