Gorge and Coast 7/23 to 8/9 3.5 to 6.5

Post your latest session. Provide the location, date, equipment used, and most importantly tells us about your fun. That fun is helpful to people who are thinking about where to go the next time.
Forum rules
Please at least list in the subject line "Date, Location, sail/kite size, board size"
Example:
04/15 Ut Lake SSB, 16M kite, 136
08/23 Sulphur Crick, 3.7M/78L

Gorge and Coast 7/23 to 8/9 3.5 to 6.5

Postby Sarah Ranes » Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:50 pm

The Gorge just gets better and better! 17 sailing days out of 18. One 6.5 day a couple 5.4 and on down from there. I think we were on small 75ltr boards all but two sailing sessions. There were a couple of amazing 3.5 days, which are still pretty challenging for me. 4.0 and 4.5 days have really gotten fun now and I had a blast playing in the swell. I can't believe how large it looks when you look over your shoulder when you are at the bottom part of the swell, and how fast you feel like you are going.

It's always soo much fun to have so many of our Utah buddies there to sail and hang with. Craig mentioned most of them. It was also fun to see Willie get his first taste of the Gorge, and I'm sure it won't be his last!

A first for myself, Linda and friend Heidi, was heading for the coast when things got too hot in the Gorge. We decided on Manzanita! What a great little town and beautiful beach. It looked pretty windy when we arrived, so we rigged 4.7 and 5.0. It looked like a lot fun from way back on the beach. But once you entered the freezing water, and were facing about 5 sets of waves that now looked a whole lot bigger, it was a bit scarrey and intimidating. With a bit of luck and determination we all made it out to the open swell, which was way bigger!!! than it had looked before. And did I mention the cold water? My bootied feet were pretty numb after about 20 minutes. I think we only played about an hour and a half and decided to head in, a bit worried about coming in with the waves. Well that turned out to be the easy and fun part. That night we got wood and drinks and had a fire on the beach, that was cool!

Next day I decided to try it again, a little less scared, with the 5.0 and had a pretty good time. The swell was huge by my standards, and the farther you went out the bigger it got. I maybe got in 2 hrs, before my feet were numb, and rode into the beach with the biggest wave, that I have ever been close to, chasing me in, I've never pumped a sail that hard before, I did get it moving, and I made it in with a big wahoo. It was quite an experience for all of us! And yes I would go again.

Back to the Gorge after that, it felt so warm that I sailed in shorts and a rash guard, and had new appreciation for sailing there. The last few days offered some great 4.0 wind and swell, and I left wondering....how soon can I get back?
Sarah Ranes

whitey ??

Postby jason morton » Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:29 pm

Glad you had such a great coast experience. did you see whitey?? manzanita is notorious for great whites. i think there even has been attacks on surfers there. quick water starts please.
jason morton

Postby Marty Lowe » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:17 am

No way in hell whitey can catch Sarah
She's to fast. :wink:

-Marty 8)
Marty Lowe

Postby Rick McClain » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:06 am

Don't fool yourself. Whitey can swim 20 - 30 knots easy! ...and he can ride waves, too!
Rick McClain

Return to Wind Log