Aug 27, 28 Sulpher Creek....BIG ASS GEAR!

Post your latest session. Provide the location, date, equipment used, and most importantly tells us about your fun. That fun is helpful to people who are thinking about where to go the next time.
Forum rules
Please at least list in the subject line "Date, Location, sail/kite size, board size"
Example:
04/15 Ut Lake SSB, 16M kite, 136
08/23 Sulphur Crick, 3.7M/78L

Aug 27, 28 Sulpher Creek....BIG ASS GEAR!

Postby Sarah Ranes » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:20 am

The Camp out provided great company and sports, but not much wind. Bob started a competative game of BOCA BALL, some ringging horse shoes were thrown and heard, and Linda cooked up the finest SMORES that we have ever seen around a camp fire.
The formula board and 9.0 were the call at Sulpher Creek this weekend. Sat offered a few planners here and there, until the storm winds pushed in for a short while. It was rodeo/white knuckle rides on the big gear, and what a gift, an adjustable outhaul can be in those conditions. I think everybody got a ride or two, in every direction imaginable.
Sunday was a big sucker wind day. We saw some winds building, and I thought I could get some rides on the big gear. Which I did plane off and sent a few watchers rigging. It didn't last long. I think I got a ride in every direction on the lake, with a few providing a ride all the way across. but most of the time was schlogging around. The weather was great, water temps are very pleasant, just not enough wind....Maybe next year!
Sarah Ranes

Let it be noted that Sarah avoided SKUNKAGE!

Postby RickHeninger » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:11 am

Sarah, if I am not mistaken, is the only person who didn't get skunked either saturday or sunday... She had the right gear rigged at the right time and unless somebody else got planars on sunday, hats off to Sarah.

We had some good ol' fashioned waiting for wind Psychology going on. It's great to be reminded every so often of how sweet it is when the wind is up! Something about that wait that stirs the soul... I don't know exactly how is stirs it, but it does... If we hadn't have had to wait, I wouldn't have been so enlightened by such an intriguing and deep theoretical analysis with Fred of the psychology, sociology, and physiology of waiting for wind ...

Yes, Linda is the S'MORE ________! Queen (self named)... Her S'more techniques are second to none. She has some government type classified techniques. She had us all s'mored and feathered by morning.

Maybe this might be a little TMI, but what's new from me right?... But, we all have friends outside of this sport, however, not all of those friends sit and wait in HOT weather for the next windline that sucker punches the snikey out of you... that little windline that causes you to rig, lifting you up into a scramble of hope, only to pass over like a ... cloud that has a little wind under it...

I was talking to a couple this last time I was in the Gorge, they were so funny and open (Garth and his Wife). They were talking about how we become so afraid sometimes to admit that we like to hang out with other Windsurfers because it might indicate that they have NO FRIENDS outside of Windsurfing. They concluded that they spend enough time doing this sport that they may as well at least have some genuine friends in it. But we're all such a diverse group in the sport and in other circumstances some people who are great friends would never have said hello to eachother in a million years... That's probably an understatement...

We concluded that this is the beauty inherent in it... Maybe we all know it, but it probably just isn't voiced enough. National Geographic could do a show or an article show-casing the eccentricities with in that diversity. I believe that the little eccentricities that we have evolved through miniature, individual Darwinian processes are a marvel to behold and are to be embraced with reason ;). I know that needs no explanation... Maybe we did do a little too much payotte this time...

By the way, Bob... Is one heck of a cook, he gave me a bite of steak that he made up real quick... Also, he told me of other dishes that he has been known to make... I think that he should spear head a feast for next year...I'll bet if we supplied the grub he'd oblige. :) Just a thought!

Thanks again Sarah and Linda...
Last edited by RickHeninger on Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RickHeninger
Site Admin

Re: Let it be noted that Sarah avoided SKUNKAGE!

Postby Marty Lowe » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:58 am

RickHeninger wrote:
By the way, Bob... Is one heck of a cook, he gave me a bite of steak that he made up real quick... Also, he told me of other dishes that he has been known to make...

One of the reasons we like to camp at Tucker with Bob

-Marty 8)
Marty Lowe

Re: Let it be noted that Sarah avoided SKUNKAGE!

Postby Craig Goudie » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:39 pm

Rick,

Garth and Debbie aren't married .........yet.......
They do rock though don't they.

and "Payotte " is spelled Peyote, you need to spend more time
with your brothers in the sweat lodge dude.

Other than that I pretty much agris with the debris. ;*)

-Craig

RickHeninger wrote: snippage of much cosmic debris

I was talking to a couple this last time I was in the Gorge, they were so funny and open (Garth and his Wife). They were talking about how we become so afraid sometimes to admit that we like to hang out with other Windsurfers because it might indicate that they have NO FRIENDS outside of Windsurfing. They concluded that they spend enough time doing this sport that they may as well at least have some genuine friends in it. But we're all such a diverse group in the sport and in other circumstances some people who are great friends would never have said hello to eachother in a million years... That's probably an understatement...

We concluded that this is the beauty inherent in it... Maybe we all know it, but it probably just isn't voiced enough. National Geographic could do a show or an article show-casing the eccentricities with in that diversity. I believe that the little eccentricities that we have evolved through miniature, individual Darwinian processes are a marvel to behold and are to be embraced with reason ;). I know that needs no explanation... Maybe we did do a little too much payotte this time...

more snippage

Thanks again Sarah and Linda...
Craig Goudie
Sailing the Gorge on my:
8'4" OO Fat Boy, 7'9" OO Slasher, 7'4" Goya SurfWave
with Northwave Sails
Craig Goudie
Site Admin

Return to Wind Log