4/18 Utah Lake RP....wow!

Post your latest session. Provide the location, date, equipment used, and most importantly tells us about your fun. That fun is helpful to people who are thinking about where to go the next time.
Forum rules
Please at least list in the subject line "Date, Location, sail/kite size, board size"
Example:
04/15 Ut Lake SSB, 16M kite, 136
08/23 Sulphur Crick, 3.7M/78L

4/18 Utah Lake RP....wow!

Postby Sarah Ranes » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:04 am

Arrive about 1:45 to Ken O coming off the water OP'd on his 4.7 and little board. Eric was out still, on his very flat 4.7 getting worked, but doing pretty darn good in those conditions. When he finally came in he said if he had a 3.2 that he would rig it. Ken tried a 3.7 and I a 3.5. My first run was a disaster. Couldn't get my big fat booties in the straps, boom too low, harness lines way off. Getting everthing back on shore to adjust was quite a workout itself. Next rides were much better, but scarry conditions, kept me from getting too much speed. Jibes were tough, with so much wind and the chop was really close and big. The challenge was high, the fun factor not so high, and I guess I was a bit tired from the hours of sailing on Sunday. I tried for a while, then called it a day. Shortly after, Emanuel hit the water on a 4.9 and got worked a bit but did ok, at least he had a huge smile on his face when he came in.

The wind speeds that I read on my meter did not match the conditions that I felt on the water. But when i brought up provo wind readings for the last 24 hours, it showed very similar to what my wind meter shown. I'm not sure how much windier it is out a way from shore, but I do know that i saw alot of side ways spray/mist on the water at times, and wondered how I was going to attempt to turn and get back to shore. I guess the days like that are there to make the 4.5 days seem fun. I felt a little beat up after the session, but glad that I had tried. I would do it again today if I had the chance.
Sarah Ranes

Return to Wind Log