DC Sailboat Beach, Monday, 10.24

Post your latest session. Provide the location, date, equipment used, and most importantly tells us about your fun. That fun is helpful to people who are thinking about where to go the next time.
Forum rules
Please at least list in the subject line "Date, Location, sail/kite size, board size"
Example:
04/15 Ut Lake SSB, 16M kite, 136
08/23 Sulphur Crick, 3.7M/78L

DC Sailboat Beach, Monday, 10.24

Postby Carl Christensen » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:47 am

Beautiful day at sailboat beach. I went on faith, all the stars in apparentl alignment, and arrived at 4 o'clock to see one other sailor (Eric?) in the light breeze with scattered whitecaps. We sailed to the dam buoys, squeezing what we could to get planing rides. Only once did I fall off of my plane. At 5 he had enough and got out but I kept sailing in the wind which was becoming steadily stronger and remained nicely steady as reported by Layne on Saturday. At 6:00 the sun dipped behind the mountain but the wind continued to persist and the rides were getting better, I'd have kept going but 2 hours is enough and I had plans, those plans might have changed if the crew had been out. Where's Jim, Paul, John, Team D? The moral of the story is to sail SBB this time of year and to sail late, 4-6pm. Yesterday's DC dam chute tells the story while the Heber sites are virtually unaffected. The water remains warm enough for a short wetsuit which is all right by me. Looking for the same today, should be a bit better.
Carl C.
Carl Christensen

Postby JimSouthwick » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:55 am

As you say, the Heber Valley was virtually unaffected:

http://homepage.mac.com/jsouthwick/Char ... bum67.html
JimSouthwick

Postby ErikM » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:49 am

Carl,

Sorry I was unable to talk with you...Unlike your setup, my 9.2, 80cm wide board, and 64cm fin was about 3-4 mph short of planing all day long. I only managed about 4 planing trips across the lake. If you don't mind, I am curious what your setup was. As you stated it was a steady wind and I would have had alot of fun tearing it up also with bigger gear.

Thanks,

Erik Mumford
ErikM@icpeinc.com
ErikM

Postby Carl Christensen » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:35 pm

Thanks for the info Jim. It really helps to know what's going on. btw GAASTRA 10.9, perfect condition, $175, see windsurf classifieds. sure would look good on you. John D says the boys don't deserve it, yet. (I'm sure they're getting there though.)
Carl C.
Carl Christensen

Return to Wind Log