Kiting Maui

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

Kiting Maui

Postby Travis Cook » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:59 pm

Hey for you folks who have kited over there, what do I need to take? I'm heading for a couple of weeks and plan on lots of kiting. What size kites and boards do you recommend? I haven't done much on a surf board but would like to start. But definitely going to ride twin tip. Thoughts?

* Boards/board size?
* Kite sizes?
* Travel bag?

And on the travel bag, I am too late to order this guy (http://www.amazon.com/NSI-Pro-Golf-Bag- ... ceiver+bag) but have you found another bag that fits 135cm boards or so?
Travis Cook

Re: Kiting Maui

Postby Kenny » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:15 pm

Travis,

It is just as well that you did not order a travel bag. You will get nailed with baggage fees if you do. All of the baggage guys at the Maui airport are clued into the deceiver golf bags. Last time I was there I got hit for $175 bag fee. If you want to ride a directional board, you may be better off renting one there or buying one and having it shipped home.

As far as kite sizes go - this time of year the Kona winds can blow which means light wind. Typically, I would say take small stuff (7, 9, 11). This time of year, I might take a larger kite like a 13 just in case. If you want a split board to use while you are there. I have a 3B board that I will let you borrow - no charge. Just let me know, I love thumbing my nose at the baggage guys with a split board!

Kenny
Kenny
Site Admin

Postby Don Losee » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:50 pm

Two kites, two bars, one 3B 136 travel board = no fees.

Don Losee

Postby Jason Klein » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:25 am

Travis, how did the Maui trip go?
Jason Klein

Postby Travis Cook » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:06 pm

You can get so spoiled there. The wind is on 5-7 days a week and 15-25mph. I got to kite every other day or so but not enough still!! I had only had 1 other session in surf before, so it was all new stuff learning to deal with the waves and flow. But with 25mph wind and the right size kite, you can get yourself out of most situations. Saw turtles out there every day, had fun jumping up and off the 5-10 ft waves and trying to land it. The kite beach launch at Kahana is quite tricky though-- vortex wind and very crowded. I probably should have gone a bit up farther to the East-- not at the training/beginner beach. I was left with a question though-- what are good techniques for relaunching your kite when the surf has it and keeps pounding it down every 10 seconds? I was going downwind and almost past the point of no return and about to self-rescue when it finally came up though. Whew.

Definitely need to repeat.
Travis Cook

Postby kenclewis » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:40 pm

As another side note, when I went to Maui I shipped my board via FedEx for $16 each way (I have a discount with my company). To lighten it up, I pulled the bindings and fins off and they went with me. The FedEx building is right there by kite beach and you can arrange to pick it up there or ship to your hotel. I did the latter but wished I would have picked it up from FedEx. I would have had one more afternoon of kiting. :-)
kenclewis

Return to Main Message Board