Headed to Lake Powell/Bullfrog - Kiting any good?

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

Headed to Lake Powell/Bullfrog - Kiting any good?

Postby Mike Storer » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:39 am

I'm heading to Bullfrog Marina today to get the houseboat ready for the summer trips.

I've heard a lot of talk about Lake Powell, it's not good, it's okay, it's good on certain wind. I've even heard it may not be legal due to the flying tubes that were outlawed years ago?

Obviously I need information. Is it legal for one, and if so, would it be worth bringing my gear down in case we get perfect wind? What wind directions are best for Bullfrog?

I will have a boat to drop me off/pick me up.

Any information is very helpful.

Thank you all!
Mike Storer

Re: Headed to Lake Powell/Bullfrog - Kiting any good?

Postby trevmorrell » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:24 pm

I'm not familiar with the wind conditions but I do know it has been kited. The legality may be another issue completely. The actually original ban as you stated was on "kite" tubes which are pulled behind a boat and caused quite a few injuries and created a bad impression with the state parks for anything with the name kite. I think that it completely depends on who sees you. The other issue is the quagga muscle invasion that they are trying to save powell from. Since you have a boat I'm sure you are aware of the issues. As long as your kite and boards are completely dry you shouldn't have issues with this but I wouldn't be surprised if they ask. Wet gear transferred from lake to lake can actually transport the invasive species before they are even visible to the naked eye. Best of luck. I think Dave Kyle has kited powell a little bit if you are interested in talking with someone that has.
trevmorrell

Re: Headed to Lake Powell/Bullfrog - Kiting any good?

Postby Chase.Leibfritz » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:14 am

I was down there two years ago and talked to one of the rangers about kiting. They didn't say anything about it being illegal, but did say the only place they saw kiters was at Gunsight Bay/Point. But I bet that's pretty far from Bullfrog. I went to Wahweap and camped in Last Chance Bay. I did kite for a bit in one of open the channels. It wasn't too bad, little squirrley. My philosophy is always bring as much kite gear as there is room for. Good luck
Chase.Leibfritz

Return to Main Message Board