Sadly sharing a great loss

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

Sadly sharing a great loss

Postby Doug cox » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:45 pm

It is with a heavy heart that we let you know of the passing of our dear friend Marty Lowe. Marty passed away Sunday April 13, 2014 while in snowmobiling in Wyoming. He will be greatly missed by all in our community. At this time we have no further information regarding funeral arrangements. We would like to share with you his last Wind Blog posting and photos. May the wind always be at his back.

Saturday, April 12, 2014

17-20 Big Horn Mountains

Drove up on Wed and got a late day session on Bald Mountain's west side on 15M.
Lodging at Wyoming High Country Lodge, just a couple of miles from Bald Mountain, sled access only.
Thursday was great 11M day on the south west face of Baldy, the "famous" gliding mountain ridge.
Great snow conditions and tons of features to play on. Then we moved around to Terminal B, the south east facing part of Baldy.
Friday we went to Terminal B, rode for hours on 9M. Later we packed up and went to Duncum mountain for the late day 9M session. Long day...
Saturday the clouds cam in, and we had to go lower to find kite spot. The 15M conditions were smooth and reminded me of kiting runs at a resort on the groomers. We may be snowed in Sunday. The plows don't run up here on the weekends. 1-2 feet in the forecast sat night. We may have to wait for the plows to get out of here on Monday.
Attachments
6.jpg
5.jpg
4.jpg
Doug cox

Re: Sadly sharing a great loss

Postby RickHeninger » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:31 pm

Doug, I am so saddened by this terrible news. I am sorry, you were especially close to Marty...

Marty was helping to keep the peace and was being a great help to the UWA. May his legacy live on... Rest Peacefully Marty...

A+ Quality Man and Business

Link to Marty's business legacy above
RickHeninger
Site Admin

Postby Todd Jacques » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:41 pm

Huge loss. He taught me how to do my first slide launch. retrieved my board a many of times. Helped me figure out kites and boards. text to kite, where ya going? Rush? cool.
Hard to believe another one left us to young. The only solace is he was doing what he loved.
Good winds Lowe.
Todd Jacques

Postby Craig Goudie » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:54 pm

I hardly know what to think or say, the world is a dimmer place.
Prayers of peace, for those who knew and loved Marty, especially his family.
The shock of it is unbelievable.

-Craig
Craig Goudie
Sailing the Gorge on my:
8'4" OO Fat Boy, 7'9" OO Slasher, 7'4" Goya SurfWave
with Northwave Sails
Craig Goudie
Site Admin

Postby Josh Shirley » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:30 am

Very saddened by this shocking loss.
Marty you will be missed!
Whatever thou art, do well thy part.
Josh Shirley
Site Admin

Postby Kenny » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:46 pm

It is hard to believe, I don't want to believe it. I feel numb, Marty is such a good friend. My thoughts and prayers are for his family. I am going to miss that guy!!!
Kenny
Site Admin

Postby John Guay » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:05 pm

I am still having a hard time believing that Marty's gone. He was a good kiting buddy with a great sense of humor. I am going to miss him a lot.
John Guay

Postby Dr Breeze » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:13 pm

I didn't know Marty well, but I know he was a vital member of our small windsport community for a long time. Condolences to his close friends and family. To paraphrase an old song ... "Wind on the water (and snow) . . . carry him home."

- Tim
Dr Breeze

Postby Mark Johnson » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:44 pm

My gear is laid out ready to pack for the trip, we had planned on leaving this Thursday to South Padre.
I can not bring myself to put my gear away. I keep thinking that this is just part of a bad dream and I will wake up and everything will be back to normal. From what I have learned over this past year, is that life can change rapidly. The best thing to do is to let it happen and deal with the cards you are dealt. Be glad for the times you've had. Enjoy the time that is now, and be ready for the times to come. I will hang on to those memories from the times spent with a great friend Marty!
Mark Johnson

Postby mike mccarthy » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:19 pm

Marty,

All I can say is I hope you get e-mail in Heaven!! because I was not able to tell you in our short time here on earth, as good friends, how much I and everyone that kited with you, loved and admired you and your skills as a great person ( oh!! you sure did kite well too) May your family find peace in the fact that you did live your life to the fullest extent,with the biggest smile on your face, and always an encouraging word to everyone around you. You left us all to early, but you did make a difference in peoples life, and that's what really counts the most in life! I will miss you my friend....

Mike McC
mike mccarthy

Postby whit » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:42 pm

So Sad to hear of Marty's passing. I can not believe it !! He lived life to the fullest, always doing what he enjoyed, technically analyzing with a smile on his face and a helping hand for anyone in need. He passed doing what he loved most. What a huge loss to our Utah sports community.

My condolences to his family and friends. You will be missed by many good friends.

-Whit Guild
whit

Postby chasestewart » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:45 am

The news of Marty's passing brings me great sadness. He and Mitch Cummings were the first friendly faces I can recall in the first days of trying to kiteboard in Utah.

Most of you do not know me or who I am, but I was the person, maybe the first, maybe not, who showed up on a beach in Utah, pumped a kite up and tried to kiteboard. It was 1999 or 2000, I can't recall now. No one else was around. I stayed clear of any place where I saw windsurfers, a lesson I'd learned on the beaches near my Mom's house near Punta Goleta, Dominican Republic (Near what is now Cabarete). One day on a trip to see my Mom, the ordinarily tranquil ocean was disturbed by these two guys who showed up and started buzzing back and forth on directional boards and these smallish, strange looking kites. They couldn't seem to stay up wind, constantly walking up the beach with their kites in the air. I went down and talked to them, asking all kinds of dumb questions. Chris and Franz were their names and there was another guy who was not so friendly at the time named Bruno.

I vowed, the next time I visited my Mom, I'd take a lesson and find out more about this crazy sport. That was a long time ago now. I've kited in many different spots in Utah and Wyoming, the Gorge, the Oregon Coast, Aruba, Mexico, all over the Dominican Republic, and spent lots of time and lived in South Padre Island, Texas for most of the past 10 years.

I haven't kited in Utah for many years now, but I will always remember the friendly faces when there weren't many around.

Chase Stewart
chasestewart

Postby John Freed » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:00 am

Marty, Vern and Doug, the three amigos. From the early days at Rush, Marty on his big blue Bic board, Vern and Doug blasting away next to him. Marty was part of our small windsurfing crew back in the day. Always there with that sly smile, the first guy on the water in the spring, the last one off in the fall. Marty, we will really miss you... for all your contributions to our sports and your great friendship. All of us send our sincere condolences to the family. We will miss you Marty!
John Freed

Postby salvador » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:37 pm

Hope tequila test better in the other side bro!! Salud
salvador

Postby salvador » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:39 pm

Hope tequila test better in the other side salud bro!!!
salvador

Next

Return to Main Message Board