DCJIM - Thoughts on Charleston?

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

DCJIM - Thoughts on Charleston?

Postby DimitriMilovich » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:02 am

Hey Jim, whaddya think of my idea that Charleston might be getting more wind on a South day? As I wrote Sunday, it was blowing there when I arrived around 3:00 and when I left at 4:00. It was pretty dead at IB and Sailboat the whole time -- John got skunked, Emmanuel got only a limited variable sesh. Is this the "Charleston Effect"? I assume the wind data you posted was from your house. It supports what I saw -- windy near you (and Charleston and me ripping happily around at Jordanelle for couple hours) but dead or marginal further up the lake.

You know how on a really windy South the wind will switch back and forth at IB between west and South, even coming offshore at IB in that nasty way it does? My theory is that the South winds are higher up and can touch down as the lake opens into the Heber valley. What do you think, Swami?
Dimitri
DimitriMilovich

Postby JimSouthwick » Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:19 pm

Dimitri,

What you suggest certainly seems reasonable, although I don't have enough experience at Charleston yet to be certain. At about the same time Emmanuel was sailing at the Island, I was sailing at Charleston (105 Hypersonic, 7.2m) and getting some pretty good planers, although my session was quite brief. I was very interested to read that Jordanelle was providing good rides, as I have been wondering for a long time whether it might be better than DC when the wind is has more of a southerly component that usual.
JimSouthwick

Return to Main Message Board