LINDON SUCKS AND IS DANGEROUS

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

LINDON SUCKS AND IS DANGEROUS

Postby mike rossberg » Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:21 pm

I tried to get a lunch session but luck was not on my side. There is so much trash, burned chairs, broken glass, nails from burned pallets, and washed up charcoal from a years of fires, on the beach. I HATE STUPID REDNECK IDIOTS WHO POLLUTE OUR BEACHES. I know I'm preaching to choir but i need to vent. Please, save your kite or board, and go some where else. The enbankment going down to water is so steep you have to slide on your butt to get down. You'd be really lucky to get a sailboard down un-dinged. Another Utah lake beach bites the dust.
mike rossberg

Postby Rod Meiners » Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:34 am

I sailed there yesterday starting at around 5:30. I was soon joined by 2 kiters and a few more rigging as I came in.
Mike, is there anything we can do to not only clean the beach up, but to stop the trash? Every week I see additional piles of junk. The two piles in the water were not there the week before. People will have trash fires until there is no more sand exposed. This has to be against the law - but maybe the city of Vinyard or Lindon is not able to patrol it.
I am still surprised the number of people I meet that go out sailing/kiting/swimming at lindon without some sort of water shoe. I pulled a broken bottle just out of the edge of the water on my way out yesterday. I know there is a lot more that has been covered up - let alone the nails - lots still attached to pieces of wood sticking up.
Rod Meiners

lindon

Postby tomsmart » Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:37 am

A damn shame. i've always thought Lindon was the best wind and potential lanch on the East side. There is a major development going in on the East side, I can't remember exactly where, that may offer a launch similar to Pelican Island. I might attempt to get the Deseret Morning News to do a story about the littering of Lindon, I might contact you later, cheers, Tom
tomsmart

AMEN!!!

Postby RickHeninger » Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:50 am

That would be great if we could get some public outcry going on ALL about how Utah Lake is getting neglected... The Lake named after our state SUCKS! Not to mention the one named after our CITY!!!???

Ty Hunter is the Utah Lake State Parks manager... He is one that I have been talking with... I feel like they are ready to move, we just need to push harder with more MASS!

Tom, if you get an article going in the newspaper, that would be awesome. They are letting these people abuse the lake like this. They seem to be doing nothing about it. The Lake doesn't seem to have its' own clean up program... It is absolutely time to get some serious people involved... In fact this thread right here should be built and then sent to the people who have a say in what goes on there.
RickHeninger
Site Admin

Postby PeterFlex » Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:48 pm

When I was there Friday, I saw 3 dead/sick fish wash up on the beach within an hour. I don't know if that is a sign of additional lake neglect? It sounds like she is in need of some special attention.
PeterFlex

Lindon

Postby mike loeser » Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:38 pm

I am willing to do beach cleanup and such like has been done at SSB, but the problem is people will still abuse this place. Two days later it will look as bad as before. I was talking with a friend the day before about how wrong it is that Utah Lake isn't taken care of. People just regard the lake as trash and treat it as such. Last time I was at Lindon I had to tell some kids that it wasn't a garbage dump as they dumped two sofas down the hill. Until the city does something about it nothing will stop them from adding to the mess. You know Utah Lake would be great and be a serious boost to the local economies if they put some money and effort into it. At Lindon you could easily grass the area and put in some picnic tables to make it a fun place to be, have lunch, barbeque and such. I've read how when the pioneers came here the lake was crystal clear. Would be great if that were anywhere near true.
Rod, next time I am there I plan on wearing some booties - thanks for the reminder.
Mike
mike loeser

Postby JimSouthwick » Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:00 pm

Lindon and/or Utah County must have laws against littering. Maybe what we need to do is take pictures, write down license plate numbers and file reports with the appropriate police or sheriff department. I'm guessing that a relatively small number of slobs are responsible for most of the mess.
JimSouthwick

Interesting info on Lindon

Postby RickHeninger » Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:35 pm

I found out that Lindon is privately owned... Well, it is leased from the BLM or other GOV. entity to a private guy. That is interesting. Ty Hunter over at the Utah Lake State Park is going to work on getting the phone number of that owner... We can at least talk to him. He should be liable for litter that is put INTO the lake from his property. That can float around and ruin boats, feet, it can put chemicals into the lake... Anyway, I think that Ty may take a look into this with us.
RickHeninger
Site Admin

Trash beach

Postby miker » Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:25 pm

I have also heard that the owner of the Lindon boat harbor uses his back hoe to make the enbankment too steep for cars to get on the beach. He does it so people can't launch jet skis from the beach and forces them you use his boat ramp. It has worked as far as keeping cars off the beach but the trash still piles up.

I would suggest doing a clean up if we could experience the fruits of our labor for few a months. But, Lindon gets trashed a week later. I like the idea of story in paper and getting more of the community aware of this.
miker
Site Admin

UTAH LAKE Deseret News story---

Postby tomsmart » Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:43 pm

Mike, Mike and Rick--Will you please call or email Deseret Morning News about the Lindon Marina- I will stop by and take some photos--please contact Sara Israelsen
sisraelsen@desnews.com
801-836-1814---Thanks, Tom
tomsmart

Return to Main Message Board