what to bring, where to go July 28-Aug 1

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

what to bring, where to go July 28-Aug 1

Postby laproxdoc » Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:13 pm

Hi, y'all. I will be visitng a friend in Draper July 28- Aug 1. Unfortunately my biggest board is a Mistral Screamer (9'1", 95ltrs) and largest sail is 6.5 - is there any chance of getting some good sailing in the area then? Is it worthwhile to bring any smaller gear? Trunks vs shorty vs full wetsuit? All suggestions greatfully appreciated. Thanks! Dr Mike
laproxdoc

Postby AlvinMiles » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:20 am

Fact of the matter is that virtually everyone who pole surfs around here is either driving to the gorge every chance they get or they have purchased really big (read formula) gear to ride very light winds.

During the mid summer, we are in a stable high pressure pattern that only produces wind right under thunderstorm downdrafts which also produce lightning.

The kind of wind that you are looking for usually happens when we get spring and fall storms with frontal passages (Mar-May, Late Sept-Freeze).

95% odds that your gear would be just an ornament for your car.
AlvinMiles

Postby AlvinMiles » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:23 am

PS

I thought everyone knew, August is 'Surf Naked' month everywhere in the northern hemisphere...

Seriously, If you do decide to bring your stuff, you might need a shortie at the highest elevation reservoirs.
AlvinMiles

Return to Main Message Board