Snowboard entry

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

Snowboard entry

Postby KyrkWright » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:26 am

I am new to the sport and am still working on my first real rides. I have gotten some short rides in light wind on my skis (which I am very comfortable with) and yesterday went out to a large field in 10-15 mph wind with a snowboard. I am hoping learning the feel of the snowboard will help me when we get on the water later in the year. But the problem I had was getting into the snowboard bindings. I don't know what kind mine are but I think they are fairly easy to get into..... but not with the kite in the air. Is having the kite in the air the wrong way to get into the snowboard bindings? Should I strap in first and then launch? I was flying a 16M North Rhino, I only have two C kites, my other is a 12 M. I am very comfortable with the kite and if I had my skis I think I would have had a lot of fun for an hour or so. But I really want to be able to do the snowboard. Please let me know your advice/opinions.
KyrkWright

Postby Mark Johnson » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:42 am

The Burton Flow or the K2 Cinch bindings make it a bit easier to get in while flying the kite. Or like you say get in the bindings first then relaunch the kite, best if you can have someone give you a hand relaunching once you get ready.
Mark Johnson

Postby WestonYoud » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:31 am

Sounds like it was fun. Just let me know when you're going out again and I'll help out.
WestonYoud

Postby Kenny » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:46 pm

I love my K2 Clicker Bindings. They don't manufacture them anymore, but you can get boots and bindings on e-bay for less than $75. I have been using mine for 7 years.
Kenny
Site Admin

Postby Eric Gustafson » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:17 pm

K,
Do you have a fifth line? if you can rig it on the trailing edge, you can let the kite drift downwind on your launch ,tension one lines, roll and launch. If you do not have a fifth, you can improvise and pull on both back lines. Either way, once you feel power, steer your board off the wind to lessen the pull. Of course, if there is someone around , do an assisted launch.
Best to get comfortable being in your board, even if you do spend for the clickers. it trains you on edging.
Have fun
E
Eric Gustafson

Return to Main Message Board