Introduction

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

Introduction

Postby WestonYoud » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:09 pm

Hello All -
I'm new to kiting, and am looking a good source of information and answers to some of the questions I have in getting started.
I started kiting on vacation in Cabarete, Dom. Republic. in 2004. I took a 2 lessons on the beach and was able to do body drags in the ocean, and on the second day I was up on the board for just a few seconds. I was hooked, but thought that there weren't locations in Utah that I could continue, so I didn't pursue the sport. Then had lunch with a former co-worker and he mentioned that he's trying a new sport, and it brought the itch back.
Now that I knew the ability to kiteboard here was a possibility, I told my wife I wanted to try and get into the sport. I did so in passing, but she took it a bit further, and for Christmas got me a 16m Cabrinha Hi Aspect bow kit with a Recon 2 control bar. She got a steal deal on it, but I'm thinking it's not the best learner kite, and the Recon2 bar is alot different that what I learned on in the DR.
One thing that I'm most having issues with, other than the big bird of a kite, is that the chicken leg is cut short on the chicken loop. I figure this is for unhooking, but for some reason it really bugs me. Is there a way to replace the chicken leg (DD for others) on the control bar?
Also, I'd like to get a good understanding of how to best use this control bar.
Sorry for the long post, but glad to see a strong community of kiteboarders here in the state.
WestonYoud

Postby Kenny » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:45 am

Weston,

Welcome to kiting in Utah. Actually, we kite all year round in Utah. Utah is the premier location for snowkiting. You actually live at the epicenter for the best snowkiting in the US. Just think of making turns all day long in Utah Powder without standing in liftlines and competing with thousands for the best stashes and you can see why. We have water locations as well, it is not the DR, but we still have a lot of fun.

As far as your chicken loop and control bar, I would have to see it to see if the chicken loop is interchangeable. You can buy a separate chicken leg. You mention the kite is high aspect. Which model is it? Is it a Crossbow? A 16M kite is not bad to learn on since the winds are lighter here than in the DR. Most kiters here learn on a 12 or a 16. You might want to pick up a 12.

Right now, you don't want to delay getting out on the snow because it is so much easier to kite on the snow than on the water because you don't have to deal with the water start. I suggest taking a refresher lesson - there are a lot of local instructors. You can do a search on this forum. Get one that has a snowmobile so that you don't have to walk back if you do a downwinder or down your kite for some reason. An instructor can also give you a rundown on equipment, locations, etc.

Welcome and I hope to see you out there.

Kenny
Kenny
Site Admin

Postby WestonYoud » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:17 pm

Thanks for the encouragement! My kite model is a Contra.

I've been saving up the nickels in hopes of getting a smaller kite. It's good to know that 12m would be the logical choice, as I was debating between that and the 10m.

I'll keep an eye open for lessons as well. Kyrkw on this board and I try and get out as much as possible.

Thanks again.
WestonYoud

Postby Lisa Moss » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:58 pm

You can buy Cabrinha chicken loops separately (which come with the chicken finger attached). I replaced one before for a 2005 Contra because I wanted a smaller loop.
Lisa Moss

Return to Main Message Board