New to windsurfing in Utah

For beginners of kiting or windsurfing, or people new to the area to introduce themselves and ask questions.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Utah Windrider's Association
-This forum is for people new to the area or just getting into Windsurfing, Snowkiting, or Water Kiting. Please reference which sport(s) in your subject heading.
-Please introduce yourself and tell a bit about how you got into the sport.
-Hopefully people will be able to answer any questions that you might have. Please see the "Learn to Windsurf" or "Learn to Kite" links above.
-It is UWA website policy to register using your full name. First name initial/full last name is acceptable. Thanks for your cooperation.
-We were all beginners at one time, hopefully we'll all remember that in this forum.

New to windsurfing in Utah

Postby Jonathan Penfield » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:40 am

Hello, I just moved back to Salt Lake City for school at the U of U after spending my summer in Tahoe and working on my windsurfing. This is my third year of school here. In the past I didn't have gear to ride, but I do this year and am looking forward to some time on the water before the lakes freeze over.

- Jonathan
Jonathan Penfield

Re: New to windsurfing in Utah

Postby RickHeninger » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:44 pm

Hey Jonathon,

welcome back... picked the right school... and sport...

As you can see, Grantsville reservoir is pretty popular for the dawn patrollers... It's really tough to get up some mornings, but once you're out there, it is seriously a blast. Highly underrated.

Utah lake on some good norths hopefully this fall... Browse around the site you'll find out more...

BTW... Why did you live in Tahoe?! and not go a few miles further to Rio Vista for the really good stuff.

See you on the water. Rick Heninger.
RickHeninger
Site Admin

Postby Jonathan Penfield » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:40 pm

I might just have to check out grantsville on Thursday as I don't start school until 12:30 that day.

Anyone know how the water level is and when the wind usually starts to die off?
Jonathan Penfield

Postby Craig Goudie » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:24 am

Hi Jonathan,

The water level is low, making the lake a jibeatorium, but still plenty rideable. The South wind usually
starts dieing about 10:30, milkable till 11:30, then pretty dead. Tomorrow actually has some potential for
wind out there in the 7M range, but I wouldn't plan on every Thursday. Approaching fronts, or low pressures
to the West slurping up a warm Southerly wind tend to bring G-Ville up in the AM.

Jonathan Penfield wrote:I might just have to check out grantsville on Thursday as I don't start school until 12:30 that day.

Anyone know how the water level is and when the wind usually starts to die off?
Craig Goudie
Sailing the Gorge on my:
8'4" OO Fat Boy, 7'9" OO Slasher, 7'4" Goya SurfWave
with Northwave Sails
Craig Goudie
Site Admin

Return to Newcomers and Transplants Forum