Do you kite to music?

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

Do you kite to music?

Postby joshlytle » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:53 pm

Just curious if you listen to music while kiting..

What type of headphones?
Do you wear a helmet with headphones?
joshlytle

Re: Do you kite to music?

Postby Tom Reynolds » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:30 am

I kite and ski with a smith variant helmet with integrated speakers. I love it. Easy volume contol with gloves on, I can turn it up or down on the fly. With tunes on, I can still hear the snow, the wind, friends talking etc.
Tom Reynolds

Postby momo » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:37 pm

it does make kiting more fun, I use an old fashion ipod with one ear piece in so I can still hear if I need to.
momo

Postby kenclewis » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:49 pm

I love kiting and skiing while listening to music. I have headphones stuffed inside my helmet. I make sure the volume isn't too loud so I can still hear what's going on around me. I just bought a new pair of earbuds on buy.com that have a short arm on them because my other pair with the longer arm fall out of my ears because the earflaps on my helmet pull them out. They were on sale today and cheap so I don't have to worry if anything happens to them.

http://www.buy.com/prod/q-electronics-n ... adid=17992
kenclewis

Postby Marty Lowe » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:46 pm

NO,,,,

I just don't like music when kiting, or even skiing.
It always seemed to defete the purpose of being outdoors.

IMHO

Marty 8)
Marty Lowe

Postby windzup » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:15 am

I find that if I play Matrix disco music I can pull a 900, if I listen to Bob Dylan I can barely land a 180.

I used to listen to music all the time.. it changes the tone of your riding (both abilities and ambiance). The biggest issue I ran into is people would try talking to me while riding and not see the ear buds under my helmet, or I would ride by a guy and smile and wave not hearing his screams for help.

I then switched to the giant DJ style Skull Candy headphones that fit over my low profile moto style helmet. This way everyone around would know I 'was not listening' to them. After breaking 4 pair of those in 2 years I went back to less expensive earbuds. The trick is having an accessible for volume and pause controls, otherwise you are peeling off gloves and zippers every time someone asks you a question.

The new helmets like Tom mentioned or the integrated jackets with ipod control might be interesting. I am planning on installing my broken Skull Candies into my old paragliding helmet for a nice surround sound while riding. I was also thinking of going 80's skier style with a boom box in my backpack for the broes to enjoy when I pass them on the race course. :)

BTW - I find Drum & Bass Techno and Heavy Metal to be the best to ride to.
windzup

Postby momo » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:03 pm

Marty, you are such a purest!
momo

Re:

Postby Marty Lowe » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:27 pm

momo wrote:Marty, you are such a purest!

Sure MO, that sounds just like me,,,huh..
your funny,,to much Tequila???

Marty 8)
Marty Lowe

Postby momo » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:41 pm

I was actually thinking about your tequilla when I made that comment!! :))) when and where will you be riding next?
momo

Postby jason morton » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:18 am

All I can say about this topic is Spencer rides all the time with his on the water and I hate it!!!!!
jason morton

Postby Marty Lowe » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:23 am

jason morton wrote:All I can say about this topic is Spencer rides all the time with his on the water and I hate it!!!!!

He does have them turned up really loud,
kinda obnoxious, ha..
Marty Lowe

Postby kenclewis » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:14 pm

Sorry; One last thought. If you are interested in getting some inexpensive earbuds that sound really good and fit inside your helmet very well, I got mine from these folks.
www.Q-Electronics-Products.com

They are right here in Bluffdale so we're supporting a local company and they are great to work with. Really good customer support. Also, as a side note, my pair have a volume control, which I thought was cool, but I have found that with the bumping around of kiting and skiing, the volume goes up and down so I would recommend against that feature. I now have tape on my volume control. Just my opinion.

-Ken L
kenclewis

Return to Main Message Board