2/25 Straberry Marina, 13.5M

Post your latest session. Provide the location, date, equipment used, and most importantly tells us about your fun. That fun is helpful to people who are thinking about where to go the next time.
Forum rules
Please at least list in the subject line "Date, Location, sail/kite size, board size"
Example:
04/15 Ut Lake SSB, 16M kite, 136
08/23 Sulphur Crick, 3.7M/78L

2/25 Straberry Marina, 13.5M

Postby Chris G » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:19 pm

There are many reasons why people kite. Some do it for adventure or escape from regular life. Some kite because it is a rush. Some fly for the social scene. Me, I do it for peace, and as I fly with the wind I find myself learning much about life.
When I left my home this morning with a fellow kiter and friend with hopes of an epic session it was hard to know what we would experience. We knew there would be snow, but the wind was in question.
As we traveled through Heber towards our destination I received a phone call from my brother who reminded me it was my Fathers birthday. "He would have been 60 today" my brother spoke with emotion. "I can't believe its been over six years".
I spent the rest of the ride contemplating what adventures I would have had with my dad if he were still alive.
We reached the summit and met a student whom my daily kite partner (Tyler) was supposed to teach and we headed towards the snow filled roads of the marina. The drive was white with falling snow, and staying on the road required effort. The snow was falling, but there was no wind.
We sat in the empty restaurant of the Marina for a few minutes before a lodge employee came running in and said the best words we had heard all day; "hey guys...your wind is here".
I rigged my largest kite "13.5 for now" and headed across the lake. The snow was the best I have ever experienced, up to my knees with fresh fallen powder that was light and fluffy. The wind was up and down, but always ride-able on my kite. I tacked across the lake about 20 times before stopping for a break and to check on the status of the lesson. As I spoke with Tyler and his student I realized a problem with the situation. The powder was deep, but the students board was small, and he was struggling to stay on top of the snow. In a moment of decision I gave up my board in hopes of him having a good session and was rewarded by watching him do his first upwind tack. When he returned he spoke of this being the best day of his life.
I spent the rest of the afternoon watching Tyler and his new student rip up the lake until the wind came down a little after 4. We packed up and headed out. My session had been a little short because I gave up my board, but I was happy to have been able to contribute to a new kiter having a stellar session. I went kiting for the purpose of peace, and peace had been accomplished. I had rode hard in great snow with good people and landed a few tricks, and then shared the stoke with a new rider. What could have been better?
As I look back on a day that could have been full of remembrance, and a little remorse, all I can honestly say is happy birthday Dad, I hope you enjoyed the show.

Hopefully the rest of the weekend is as awesome as today.

-Chris
Chris G

Re: 2/25 Straberry Marina, 13.5M

Postby alexgordon » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:30 pm

It is sounding as if you have written this from some story book.
alexgordon

Return to Wind Log