Midwest Kiter visiting from 12/24 - 12/31 looking to link up

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

Midwest Kiter visiting from 12/24 - 12/31 looking to link up

Postby Ryan Hainey » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:10 am

Hi Everyone,

My name is Ryan and I'm a Milwaukee based kiter. My girlfriend and I are planning on driving out to skyline and hopefully stay in Mt. Pleasant from 12/24-12/31. I'm hoping to link up with some locals or those who know the area as we've never been here before. I've been water/snowkiting for little over 8 years and her 2.

Any advice, recommendations for places to kite, shop, eat, drink, stay would be great!

We look forward to riding with all of you and hopefully sharing a few drinks and stories later.

Cheers,

Ryan
Ryan Hainey

Re: Midwest Kiter visiting from 12/24 - 12/31 looking to lin

Postby Kenny » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:22 pm

Ryan,

I moved your topic to the main page because the wind forecast forum is not the right place.

So far this year, the amount of snowfall is below average. Skyline is rideable, but Strawberry is not there yet. I doubt Strawberry will be ready by the time you come, but it could happen if we receive a huge snowstorm. I usually advise visitors to stay in Sandy at one of the hotels located at 106th South near I-15. My reasoning is that if there is no wind, you are close to the 4 resorts located up Big and Little Cottonwood Canyon - Snowbird, Alta, Brighton, and Solitude. However, you are coming during the busiest ski week of the year, so gravity-fed resorts will be crowded. There is not a lot to do at nights in Mount Pleasant, but it is very close to Skyline. Skyline usually has wind most days, the exception is if we have a high pressure ridge parked over the area or it is a total whiteout.

I like to ride that week, so send me a PM when you arrive in town.

Kenny
Kenny
Site Admin

Postby Chris G » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:43 pm

I will also be riding that week. When the forecast says "Go" I do my best to pull the trigger.
If you need anything I am sure there are lots of people here willing to help.
Good luck with your travel arrangements. I look forward to meeting you on the hillside.
-Chris
Chris G

Postby David Kyle » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:32 pm

If you are staying in Mt Pl. and need directions to Skyline, grap a beer at the Triangle Bar.
Owners, Brian and Heather will get you there. You can also stay in Fairview which is as close as it gets to
Skyline (15 mins.) at least I think there is lodging there, but dont expect a hoppin nightlife so far from the city.
Coverage is preaty good and should be better in a week or so. Dont forget some big kites, wind isnt always howling up there.
If wind is in the forcast, there will always be local riders up there to kite with. See you soon
David Kyle

Postby Ryan Hainey » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:06 pm

Thanks for the great advice and I look forward to meeting all of you. See you in 11 days!
Ryan Hainey

Postby Ryan Hainey » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:46 pm

5 more hrs and I'll be in Fairview! Hope to see you guys on the hill sooner than later!
Ryan Hainey

Postby AndyBlunt » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:33 pm

I met Ryan and Erica in the parking area this morning. Other than pointing out where the wind sock is I didn't have to explain a thing! Those two are legit!! Ryan you shred bro. Did I mention that the smile on your face was about a mile wide after you boosted the hill the first time??!!!!

Great to meet you both. Welcome to the Krew! (that's right its krew with a K....) :lol:

Andy
AndyBlunt

Return to Main Message Board